Making things Simple
Buying doors and related accessories can be a complicated mission for the average non-DIY expert and professionals alike. We have created these helpful guides to try and help make things a little more simple.
Below is a list of the 10 most frequently asked questions. If your question is not listed our experienced Doorways staff are only a phone call or email away.
1. What type of door am I looking for? – Gone are the days when a door was just for opening and closing, they are now seen as an item of furniture, and chosen correctly can create an impact, enhancing the look of your home. Think carefully about the style you want to achieve. Your doors and fittings should compliment your homes existing features, from the traditional panelled door to the more contemporary flush veneered range, the choice is endless. The right door will last you a lifetime!!!
2. Will all my internal doors be the same size? – No. Don’t assume all your doors are the same size & thickness – Height, width & thickness can vary from door to door. Measure them all!!
3. Will I need a fire door? – In some cases a fire door is required in a domestic situation. For example a door leading from your house to the garage will need to be a fire door. This shouldn’t be an obstacle when choosing a design. Most doors are available with a matching fire door as an option. If we can’t match the design we can certainly match the finish to compliment your doors. Check with our sales team for further details.
4. Will all my doors be the same colour? –This is not guaranteed. Timber is a natural product and therefore colour can vary from door to door. Each door is in its own way unique; after all they’re not all from the same tree!! This also applies to pre-finished veneered doors – although every care is taken to colour match at time of manufacture variations can occur.
If an exact colour match is important to you then a foil wrapped door is the solution. Foil doors are timber-structured, but with a man-made facing that replicates the look of wood veneer. As the foil is machine generated, the finish can be completely controlled, so that every door with one particular finish looks exactly the same. There are four standard finishes oak, ash, beech or cherry.
5. Will my doors come finished? – No. The majority of our doors are supplied in the raw for site decoration. This gives you the choice of finish, be it wax, oil or varnish, the choice is yours. We can offer a lacquering service if required. Contact our sales department for further details and prices. (Flush Veneered and a number of the contemporary doors are supplied fully finished from the factory).
6. What if my doors are not a standard size? – No problem. We can offer a made to measure service for most doors. You can even design your own!! Contact our sales office for further details.
7. What fittings will I require? – each door will require the following:
8. Can I use my existing locks/latches? – Yes. There is no reason why you can’t use existing fittings as long as they are in good working order and the finish matches your new handles. You also need to check that they are compatible with your new handles.
9. What style of handle should I choose? There are 3 main types of handles
10. What function do you require from your handle? – handles can operate in 3 ways